Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Look, we knew Philly fans were brutal...

...but this is way over the top:

"I had the right of way, going across the pedestrian line, and I saw there was a gold Tahoe or Yukon was trying to get in the left lane to turn, and decided to turn, and in the corner of my eye, I saw it and jumped up and took the brunt of it. I did a nice roll and dismount. It was OK. It was weird, like slow-motion. I just reacted by bracing myself by jumping up and taking the brunt of the force and just rolling. Got up, realized I was OK, was like, 'Is this going on for real?' Then I threw out some profanities at the guy."

That was Islanders defenseman and former Capital Brendan Witt, who was struck by an SUV getting his morning coffee yesterday. A witness to the incident said:

"Boy, that guy is tough. It was like seeing Clint Eastwood, but in hockey. I really thought a Hollywood movie was being made. I was looking around for cameras. I can't believe how tough this guy is. It's insanity."

Witt did play last night in the Islanders' 6-2 loss to the Flyers. He played 17 minutes, finishing even with two blocked shots and two hits...

...three if you include the SUV.


Sean said...


Hooks Orpik said...

First hit of Witt's career that didn't involve an elbow.

(Now there's your rimshot)

Anonymous said...

He finished even in a 6-2 loss? Wowza.

B.D. Gallof said...

SUV must have been going slower than Brendan.

- BD

ps. Peerless...drop me a line