The Peerless Prognosticator is ON THE AIR!!!
It's a back-to-back for the Washington Capitals, who visit the Buffalo Sabres this evening, and we did not have the time for a full preview, but here are ten info nuggets at the last minute (kinda like the McNugget Minute, but a tastier payoff) to impress your friends and confound your enemies...
- Buffalo has lost six in a row (0-5-1) and ten of their last 11 games (1-9-1).
- The Caps have not lost consecutive games in regulation this season, a situation they will seek to extend this evening against the Sabres.
- Buffalo has the worst faceoff percentage on home ice in the league (46.3 percent).
- Washington is 2-1-0 in the second game of back-to-backs this season, all of them on the road.
- No team has allowed more first period goals on home ice this season than Buffalo (20); only Calgary and Colorado have scored more first period goals on the road (23 and 16, respectively) than the Caps (15).
- The Caps have trailed after one period twice on the road this season. Both games ended in extra time losses.
- Buffalo has the fewest hits-per-60 minutes on home ice in the league (11.04); the Caps are fifth in the league in hits-per-60 minutes on the road (26.77).
- Only once in 12 road games this season have the Caps lost by three or more goals (5-2 to Seattle on November 21st); four of Buffalo's six wins on home ice have been by three or more goals.
- Washington is 30th in the league in road power play efficiency (9.7 percent).
- Only Seattle has fewer faceoff wins on power plays in road games (20) than the Caps (24...how's that for an "out-of-left-field" stat?)
Capitals 5 - Sabres 2