Thursday, March 06, 2008

Anything you can do, I can do better


Like the song from "Annie Get Your Gun," the battle of "I can do anything better than you" rages on -- and promises to continue raging on -- between Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby...


2005-2006...Ovechkin outscores odds-on rookie award favorite Crosby 106-102 and wins the Calder Trophy voting in a landslide, winning 124 of 129 first-place votes. He also was a finalist for the Pearson Award.


2006-2007...Crosby outscores Ovechkin 120-92, leading his team to the playoffs for the first time since 2001. Crosby wins the Ross and Hart trophies, as well as the Pearson award.


2007-2008...Ovechkin, whose career to date had been marked as much by consistency as skill, takes advantage of Crosby going on the shelf with an injury to surge to the top of the pack in goal scoring, overall scoring, power play goals, and game-winning goals, while improving his plus-minus by +36 over last season. He is poised to perhaps (and we do wish to stress..."perhaps") win the Hart, Ross, and Richard trophies, and the Pearson award, as well as lead his team to the playoffs for the first time since 2003.

We might yet be treated to their first meeting the playoffs, one of what the league certainly hopes will be many to come. In the meantime, they'll no doubt continue the battle...


Anything you can do, I can do better.
I can do anything better than you.

No, you can't.

Yes, I can.

No, you can't.

Yes, I can.

No, you can't.

Yes, I can!
Yes, I can!

1 comment:

Hooks Orpik said...

The winner: the fans!